In 1761, Patnongon was founded as a visita of Sibalon under the patronage of San Agustin. It was made an independent parish the following year.
In 1860, parish priest Manuel Asensio started the construction of the church. The structure was finished in 1895 during the time of Fr. Eustaquio Heria. It was bombed by the Americans during the liberation period in 1945 and rendered unusable.